The race to marry Lithium with automobiles is attracting top talent, global money powering new technologies with promising futures.
Just as entrepreneurs and corporate American filled the analogue to digital wake that Napster left in the music industry, venture capitalist and the largest organizations in the world are racing to R&D the iPod for the auto industry.
I wonder who will sell me the automobile that can drive across the digital divide and set the standard to accelerate away from the competition...
Start your Lithium teams and then engines (ranked in random order)!!!
- Team Toyota: 2006 $7.7B Toyota R&D incl. 300 engineers studying Lithium chemistry vs $6.6B GM R&D's 0 in-house engineers
- Team Volt: Sequoia, GM, A123
- Team VW: 360 million euros to develop Li-ion batteries by Bosch, Evonic Degssa, Li-Tec, STEAG Saar Egnergie including 60 million euros from the German govt. (Automotive Engineer, Dec 2007, Vol. 32 Issue 11, p 47)
- Team Nissan: NEC Lamilion Energy, A123, SAP AG
- Venrock Associates, Granite Global Ventures and Gabriel Venture Partners led by Oak Investment Partners/$68MT-$40MR3 Boston-Power
- New Enterprise Associates, BlueRun Ventures, Draper Fisher Jurvetson and DFJ
- Element/$7.5mR1-$15MR2 Deeya Energy
- Team Ford: GE, $30 million R1, $40 million R2 for A123, Sanyo
- Team Phoenix: Al Yousaf, Altair
- Team GM: Cobasts, Johnson
- Vincent Bollore/EDF/$52.8M BatScap/Continental AG/BMW/Pininfarina/BlueCar
- Team Mitsubishi: GS Yuasu, Lithium Energy Japan, MiEV
- Team Tesla: $37M Musk/VantagePoint Venture Partners, Technology Partners, and Draper Fisher Jurvetson/$105M Tesla
- Team Fisker: $10M Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers/Quantum
- Team Zenn: Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers/EEEstor/$25M Zenn/Lockheed
- Israel Corp., Morgan Stanley, VantagePoint Venture Partners/Renault Nissan/Israel's Ofer Shipping Holdings/$200 million R1 for Project Better Place